Dr. Margaret (Marmie) Perkins Hess Gallery
Monthly, 7 – 9 pm
Come see gems of the collection in a special behind-the-scenes night. See the famous artworks of the University’s collection. And enjoy free refreshments, board games, and drawing supplies. Door prizes will be drawn at the end of the night. Join us from 7-9 pm in the Hess Gallery.
2023 – 24 Schedule
September 14: Andy Warhol & Pop Art
- Come see some famous Pop Art! Andy Warhol was the most prominent artist of the Pop Art movement of the 1960s. One night only we will have Warhol, Roy Lichtenstein and other Pop Artists (even some Canadians) out on display! Also enjoy drawing supplies, card games, and snacks.
October 12: Tom Thomson & the Group of 7
- Tom Thomson is one of Canada’s most famous artists. He and his contemporaries, known as the Group of 7, painted the iconic Canadian landscape and brought Canadian art to the international stage in the 1900s. Come see these works and hang out for snacks and drawing.
November 9: Norval Morrisseau & Indigenous Artists
- Often called the grandfather of Indigenous art in Canada, Norval Morrisseau worked with bold colours and lines. Come see his art and works by other Indigenous artists. Free snacks and activities too!
January 25: Pablo Picasso & Abstraction
- The ever controversial and popular Pablo Picasso. We will have works by him and other Abstract artists on display. There will be snacks, drawing supplies, and card games to entertain all.
February 29: Queer Artists
- Join us as we showcase queer artists from the art collection for this one-night event. Learn about Canadian and International artists that are part of the LGBTQ2+ community. We will also have snacks and drawing supplies for you to create your own art.
March 28: Emily Carr & Women Artists
- Emily Carr is one of Canada’s most famous artists, she is most known for painting the B.C. landscape. We will have works by her, and other Canadian women artists like Daphne Odjig, Kenojuak Ashevak, and Margaret Shelton. Plus, snacks and drawing games.