UHall Main Atrium
Monthly, 11 – 4 pm
Join us for ARTLab, a free, drop-in event where you can play with a buffet of art supplies. Explore drawing, painting, collage, watercolour, and more. A great way to relax and unwind. All are welcome. Free refreshments!
You can still find many of our projects on our “ARTLab From Home” YouTube channel.
All activities are geared to be flexible for all ages from kindergarten through to adults, and use accessible household materials. If you have any questions about the crafts please email our Program Coordinator Kirsten Meiszinger.
2023 – 24 Schedule
September 23: Beany Dootjes & ULethbridge Herbarium, Botanical Drawings
- Join guest artist Beany Dootjes and the team from the University Herbarium to make botanical drawings and other plant-themed artworks. We will have lots of art supplies to experiment with and beautiful herbarium samples to inspire you!
October 28: Katie Marie Bruce, Silkscreen Mono-Printing
- Guest artist Katie Marie Bruce is joining us to offer a special printmaking activity! This was the crowd favourite last year, so we had to do it again. We use watercolour crayons to draw on a screen and then transfer that image onto a sheet of paper. If you can draw with crayons you can do this, it’s easy!
November 25: Button Making (Food Bank Fundraiser)
- Once a year we do a fundraiser for the University Campus Food Bank. Drop by to make a pin-back button and donate to a good cause. Draw, collage, or paint an image and then encase it in a cute pin. Not feeling buttons? We have a table full of other art supplies for you to play with.
January 13: Katie Marie Bruce, Silkscreen Mono-Printing
- Guest artist Katie Marie Bruce is here to guide us through another printmaking activity. Take advantage of this expert printmaker while she is here. Printmaking not your thing? We have a table full of art supplies for you to create with!
February 10: Mini Magnetic Paintings
- This month we will be making mini paintings out of acrylic paint, then we can attach a magnet onto the back for a cute fridge decoration. Challenge yourself by painting small details and images. As always, we will have our art buffet to choose from if you are not feeling the activity.
March 9: Mini Polymer Clay Sculpting
- Let’s play with Poly Clay! Sculpt your own little figure, earrings, or keychain, then we bake it ’till it’s hard. After that we paint them for an extra pop of colour!
* Some earring and keychain hardware available, while supplies last.
April 6: Embroidery
- Join us for the classic art of embroidery. We have all the supplies you need to make a small, embroidered piece. With embroidery books and templates, and our knowledgeable team, we will help you create something beautiful!